Walking into Trader Joe's, because that's who makes the best kind of kettle corn (according to my dad, and he would know, I inherited this sweet yet pleasantly salty penchant from someone!), my feet automatically patter towards the chips and snack isle by the wine section. I scan for the pink and white striped bags... there! On the top shelf, near the center. I pick up the pace as my tunnel vision blocks out the other shoppers I've cut off as I try to reach my destination. Grabbing the first bag in the front, I shake my head and put it back; the shelf is full so the stock people must have shoved this one in, the kernels will all have broken at the bottom... better not risk it!
Stepping back and craning my neck, I reach past the first row and grab a bag that was tossed comfortably on top of the others. I smile for there are few small pleasures in life that one can appreciate and be comfortable with at any age, such as this. I sling the bag under my arm like a football player heading for the end-zone and search for my friend, who's grabbing the items we'll need for dinner.
"Don't spoil your appetite," she says half jokingly, since I've opened the bag and already have some delicious kernels in my hand before she's even had a chance to put on her seatbelt. I put her at ease, since she is making a lovely dinner and doesn't want her efforts to go to waste, that this delicious little snack has a separate compartment in my stomach. Which is partially true, because if I don't watch myself, I can eat a whole bag in one day, one sitting even; no regrets.
We pull up to her house and I've already eaten half the bag. Reluctantly stowing it away, we carry the groceries and the spoils of our shopping into her house and we proceed to have a lovely dinner. Sadly, there really is no separate compartment for kettle corn, and I probably gained 5 pounds tonight after that plus all that pasta! We sit and digest to an episode of Madmen, discussing the hotness of Donald Draper.
Eventually it's time for me to go home. I grab my bag of kettle corn, forgetting my new tube of mascara, and start munching during the car ride home. My how those sweet bite-size kernels disappear quickly! I wanted to surprise my dad with at least half the bag, since we try and limit ourselves to once-a-month consumption, however, there's only a small amount left... probably should have bought two bags like my first instincts told me.
It would be my desert island companion, that's for sure. Wouldn't last long of course, then I'd be left in solitude. What else can I say about that airy bag of perfection? Что это очень вкусно? Уже сказала! It's almost certainly my kryptonite, and my heaven would be full of it. I'd also like to have the memory of a goldfish, so that every ten seconds I would experience the delightful surprise of tasting it for the first time... again! It's also my number one because I feel no physical remorse from eating an entire bag, which is rare in this day and age of snackdom... more like snackdoom.
So my dear readers, I hope that after reading this, you head out to your local supermarket (preferably Trader Joe's) and purchase a bag of kettle corn, if you don't already have one in your possession. Enjoy this treat, and relish in the delight it adds to any activity, whether it be watching your favorite TV show, riding in a car, or spoiling your dinner. Remember this: kettle corn has it's own compartment in your body, it's that good!
No comments:
Post a Comment